Tuesday, April 27, 2010

SMC in the news (thanks to J Lo?)

Last week I went on a first date with a divorced grant writer with two children of his own, 16 and 13 years of age. I did something I hadn't done before: I told him even before we met that I was planning on becoming an SMC.

He was very supportive of the idea and even suggested we go see J-Lo's new movie The Backup Plan together. Notwithstanding his taste in films, I found him kind and empathetic. He understood the desire to have a family and why I would consider this.

I haven't seen the movie, but I've known about it for months. Two other SMC-themed movies are supposed to hit the silver screen in the near future. Word on the SMC boards is that perhaps one of those will be better. Some found that The Backup Plan did not resonate, as they had never thought of SMC-hood as Plan B. Others did not care for the caricatures of single moms as militant ideologues on issues like breastfeeding.

At any rate, SMCs are in the news at the moment:

Interview with Louise Sloan, author of Knock Yourself Up

Today Show segment: More moms having children on their own?

No comments:

Post a Comment